Saturday, May 23, 2009

getting in to the swing of things

Hello All!
Well this past cruise had quite a different feel than the others so far. Now that we've got all this free time, it's a struggle to keep busy. Not that I'm "BORED" (Mom hates that word :)) but it's just hard to not become lazy. I have to remind myself that it's only been a week and a half since we got finished rehearsing, and my body might just need more time than that to catch up. We got off in Cayman a couple of days ago and walked to 7 mile beach, which was gorgeous. It's so incredible that I get to go there every week if I want to! We had lunch by the ocean and then went to a grocery store, which, because Grand Cayman is owned by the British, had all sorts of lovely foods that reminded me of Northern Ireland. I bought some digestives and ate all 10 of them in less than 2 days. Oops :)
I'm starting to realize that as much as I loved belting as much as I do in the shows, I need to think ahead and remind myself that I'm doing this for 6 months and I need to treat my voice well. My throat has been sore for 3 days now, and I started feeling cold symptoms yesterday. I'm pumping Airborne and Ricola and Throat Coat tea as much as possible. But how do you recover from a sore throat if you have to sing all the time?? Fiesta went all right last night, but it took a lot of concentration to stay on pitch and keep my voice from cracking. Oh dear.
I'm also struggling a bit with finding people that I truly have things in common with. I miss deep conversation with people I love and I wish I could talk on the phone more often and with more people. Today was rough because there were people I planned on calling that I really just can't because of my sore throat. So to those of you I told I would call, I'm sorry I wasn't able to. Pray that I'll feel well enough to chat more the next time I'm in port!
This next cruise should be fun, it's another five day, and there's a crew excursion in Cayman at Stingray City where we'll be snorkeling with sting rays for 3.5 hours- for only 20 bucks! It's worth it to be crew for the discounts :)
I also learned that I have some incredible friends coming out to cruise in October- and I can't wait!! Mama comes in less than a month with 2 friends, which should be a blast too!
I hope everyone is doing well out there- missing you so much!!

No comments:

Post a Comment